So often Conference tends to sneak up on me, and I realize just a few days before that it’s already here. But making the most of Conference, and really be open and ready to learn, starts by being prepared. The more prepared we are, the more we are spiritually ready to hear His voice through His servants.
Getting Ready for General Conference
In the September 2011 Ensign, Elder Utchdorf, then second counselor in the First Presidency, wrote an article called “General Conference – No Ordinary Blessing.” In this article, he encourages all members to more sincerely and actively prepare for Conference and the revelation that we can receive.
I really want to help my family be ready to hear the Lord’s voice this year. I want each of us to be able to recognize what our Heavenly Father wants for us to know – both individually and as a family. To help us prepare, I created this fun chain. It’s a simple activity that will take just a few minutes each day, but one that I hope will really help us to consider what a blessing Conference is in our lives and ponder on how we can make the most of it.
To Make Your Conference Countdown Chain:
- Download the chains and print them out. Fall is coming here, so I used some fun fall colored, patterned papers. Construction paper, colored card stock or simply using white printer paper all work great as well!
- Cut the chains along the lines. Staple them together, in number order.
- Attach NUMBER 9 to the chain header. This will make number 1 the first chain for you to remove.
- Place the chain in a place where you will see it daily to remind you to prepare for Conference the whole week through!
To Use Your Chain:
- There are 9 links to the chain. You can start at any time! Starting on September 24th will make it so that you finish the Friday (the day) before General Conference.
- Remove the next link of the chain (you should be starting with #1.)
- Have someone read the quote, then give everyone a little time to think about it.
- Read the discussion questions one at a time and discuss how it applies to you. Think about how It applies to both the whole family and each person as individuals.
- Continue each day until Conference, then get ready to listen and hear what message the Lord has for you.
Here’s to a joy-filled, inspired General Conference!
You may like these other fun ways to get ready for General Conference!